Wednesday, March 5, 2008

What is Cold Reading?

"If they can be said to have moral failing, it is in ignoring the skeptical questions and problems which have doubtlessly occurred to them." (Austin Cline, in the What is Cold Reading? article)

Is there anything that exists, that has occurred, that we have seen, touched, smelled, and contemplated, which we would not be able to bring up a question of doubt? Science itself, the new level of truth for man, proves itself to be wrong over time. What was once thought to be a fact, Columbus has proved to be round. There is doubt in everything, but we have all used our logic, experiences, and even skepticism to come to believe what we do.

There are many mediums, card readers, etc., and those who go to them who profess a honest surreal spiritual experience. How can we refute what cannot be explained. I have heard many stories of psychics leading the police to find murder victims who have been hidden. I have heard stories of objects moving on their own, and even people being physically hurt by an unseen "spiritual" force. Even if I have my skepticisms, I cannot refute the physical evidence before my eyes.

With that being said, I do believe there are many farces who shamelessly deceive many, probably using cold reading and/or other sources, but I also believe that there is some other unseen "something" which I call a spiritual world.

No comments: