Thursday, March 20, 2008

Pretext/Text/Context

The importance of understanding pretext, text, and context is vital to understanding all things, the continued advancement of our knowledge and understanding. It was interesting to read the comparisons (the book example cleared things up well) and link them to our understanding of all things. I found it utterly important that we do not take just the pretext on its own, nor the context on its own, but rather that we use each of them to better understand it all.

The key statement, I believe, was "we ground our speculations in what we have available." To take a sky hook idea and make everything fall into place with it is illogical, with what we have available to base it on. Is it incorrect? We cannot say until it is proven wrong. But that doesn't mean that it is the most logical of decisions. There are some sky-hooks, as they are called in the article, which do seem to have a little more text and pretext to lead us to the conclusions that are taken. But none the less, we would have to say that some or all are not based on the cranes of evidence which support them, but the sky-hooks which seem to come from no solid ground.

And the application for us is very good and important as well. I know that I read into everything I have read or listened to so far with my belief spectacles which seem to decipher what it is I want to take and skeptically study the rest. I know I am guilty, but with that knowledge I can also try to ground myself and use discipline to logically think through it all and come to better understanding with time and without emotions and presuppositions.

No comments: