Friday, March 7, 2008

Viruses of the Mind

Richard Dawkins is no doubt a very smart man. His ability to compare and contrast and bring to light his thoughts is definitely something he has mastered. The way he uses computers, a human invention, to show us how they are like us does not impress me to much. Precise it may be, but the obvious comparison will be there because the makers of computers used humans as there model. It is like me saying it is amazing how an artist reflects himself, his thoughts , his ways in his art.

Now it may not be the best example, I do not claim to be a master at comparing and contrasting, but I think that when it comes down to it we cannot always use the example as the overwhelming point of proof. We must use facts. With that being said I did enjoy (I can still enjoy it) his comparison and I found it very insightful. It is my hope that he wishes his example be taken no further than what he has written. We are not computers, because we have the ability to decide what we desire. A computer is programmed to do whatever it is programmed to do.

If there is any virus of the mind, I would say it is our laziness to not want to study and learn, and learn to think critically to be able to make our own minds up. I am sick and tired of everyone saying that this shouldn't be this way, and you shouldn't say that, and how could you teach that in class. What is the problem with teaching religion in school? We teach evolution and to be honest there is more against evolution than for it. (I am sure I am going to hear a lot about that comment..if anyone reads this). I am condoning religion in the classroom, but rather contrasting the facts between the two cases. But back to what I was saying, the only problem would be if our students and children aren't taught to think. Then they truly would be computers simply taking in whatever is told them. We all have an ability to make a decision on any level. But when we have not exercised our minds, we will not be able to lift the weights of difficult subjects that are brought to our attention.

So with that being said, I hope that this class continues to poke at our minds and cause us to really wrestle and fight through tough mindsets.

No comments: